13 May 2010

Europe - Duisburg (Part II)

- Wed, 12 May 2010 -

Work has been no other than b.o.r.i.n.g.  99% of the time spent in office is for w-a-i-t-i-n-g for defects to be reported. Luckily, there's no defect reported so far. (which is good, of course!)

Yesterday afternoon the weather was very cold, and some of my colleague are very busy, so they didn't want to go out. So in the end only me and a phillipino colleague who went out and help the others dabao. We didn't know what we wanna eat. On the way to Forum mall, we saw this stall selling German-style hot-dog. You know, the bratswurst (German style long sausage). So we decided to have that for lunch.

[caption id="attachment_1243" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Yummy Stall"]Yummy Stall[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1244" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Rostbratwurst & Mayo pommes"]Rostbratwurst & Mayo pommes[/caption]

I had the roasted one (it was yummy!) on bread, with mustard sauce. We also bought fries (with mayonnaise) and share it. In total, per person was only 1.8 euro! Wow, that's so cheap, don't you think? ;)

Since it was only a stall, there was no table and chair. So we sat on the bench outside, and goodness! It was freeeeeezing!! Oh yeah, there were lots and lots of doves. And apparently the doves here isn't afraid of people. They don't runaway when people are approaching, and they love to eat bread. Luckily there were many doves, they kinda help me to finish my bread, as I want to finish it fast fast (so can faster go to a warmer place) haha..

From the office, I can see something that look like a castle. Well, you know, classical type of building (that I just love). So yesterday after work, I decided to try finding that building. It seems to be quite near the office, although it's on different direction from the hotel.

The weather was very cold, and it was a biiiiiiittt drizzling. I tried to open my umbrella, but whuzzzzzz.. The wind kept blowing it off. Yeah, the wind was soooo strong that I can't use umbrella! So finally I just proceed without using umbrella.

[caption id="attachment_1245" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Along the way....."]Along the way.....[/caption]

I tried to walk and walk and walk.. look left and right, but the "castle" was nowhere to be found. I also went to a small road but still, the "castle" is not there. Finally I gave up, and decided to head back to the hotel. While walking back, I turn my head to the left (while crossing the road), and there it is!! In the end of the small road, there lies the "castle". I wonder why I missed it before, I've went thru the same road but I didn't see it earlier.

[caption id="attachment_1246" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="I see you!!"]I see you!![/caption]

Apparently the "castle" was a church. The building is veryyy niceeeee.. I didn't regret spending so much time just to find it. The name was Pfarrkirche St Ludger. I guess it means "St Luke"? Not sure though.. I'm just guessing.. haha..

[caption id="attachment_1247" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Artistic shot of St Ludger"]Artistic shot of St Ludger[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1248" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="St Ludger - Inside View"]St Ludger - Inside View[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1249" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="I've gotta be in the photo too!"]I've gotta be in the photo too![/caption]

After taking photos and admiring the building, I head back to the hotel, and went to Forum mall for dinner and window-shopping.

Oh, so last night I had Schnitzel (chicken cutlet), which was baked with cheese in Swiss style. They have Italiano, Hawaiian, and Swiss. I just anyhow pointed to the Swiss one. Apparently, Swiss style is...... lots of spinach and baked cheese on top of the schnitzel.. aiyooo.. I should've opt for Italiano instead... LOL.. And oh, did I mention that the portion was HUGEEEE?

-----------------------------

- Thurs, 13 May 2010 -

Today is supposed to be a public holiday in Europe. But sadly, with the few serious problems occurring in production (not my part!), we were required to go to work as normal. And today, I reaaaallly 100% got nothing to do at all. I think my application are not tested today, or the person in charge is not coming in to work. So actually, whether I come or not to work doesn't really make a difference. *sigh* Oh yeah, it does actually. If only today I don't need to report to work, I can go to Amsterdam! LOL..

Oh yeah.. 2 of my female colleagues have decided to extend their stay in Europe until Sunday. So we've decided to go together to Amsterdam on Saturday. And that means that I'll need to forego my hotel booking in Cologne and Frankfurt (as Fri night I'll stay in my colleague's room, and Sat night we'll stay in a hotel in Cologne). Sadly, it was quite late to cancel my hotel booking in Cologne for Fri night. So I need to pay 47 euros for the cancellation fee. Well, that's ok. That's still a bit cheaper than having to pay the full price of the hotel per night. So in the end, I can still save a bit.. hehe.. But I also need to pay 15 euros for train ticket cancellation fee :(  But since I really wanted to go Amsterdam, so.. nvm.. Really regret that I didn't plan this earlier.. hahaa..

After work, I can't continue with my shopping, as it's public holiday, hence all shops closed. So I decided to find another church in Duisburg that I haven't been to. Following the map, I can reach the church! It's called Pfrarrkirche St Joseph. Yay.. I think I'm getting better at reading maps now.. LOL..

[caption id="attachment_1251" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="St Joseph - Duisburg"]St Joseph - Duisburg[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1252" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Nice surroundings around the church"]Nice surroundings around the church[/caption]

And for tonight's dinner, I had Currywurst from The Curry Bar. It was not bad. It's something like a sausage with some sauce (I think it's tomato sauce), topped with curry powder.

[caption id="attachment_1253" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Currywurst"]Currywurst[/caption]

0 comments:

Post a Comment